You know who I’m talking about– the hands-on, creative, life-long learner. Whether she’s into cooking, painting or fixing things, here are five picks I know she’ll adore:
1. Oh, Joy!: 60 Ways to Create & Give Joy by Joy Cho $15.92 | For your craftiest pal. So many darling ideas with simple execution. Also sweet to give to a daughter (8+) with intention to craft together. Watch out, Zoe! This one is coming at ya in 2020!
2. Furniture Makeovers by Barb Blair $17.08 | Painting, applying gold leaf, wallpapering, distressing, dip dyeing, and so on. This one is for your favorite Craigslister!
3. Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear by Elizabeth Gilbert $13.72 | For the creatives… writers, artists, musicians, crafters, etc. Especially one who has made her art into a career and would love a bit of expertly relayed encouragement. This one is good on the heart.
4. The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook by Deb Perelman $19.77 | I learned about Deb’s blog back in 2009 from a dear friend of mine and it has never once left my favorite bookmarks. I can tell you that the recipes I have attempted have become some of my very favorite dishes (Hint: Bring this seasonal side to your next holiday party– I have made it a dozen times and it’s no fail!). Her writing, her photography, her creativity…and most importantly her keen taste are all impossibly elegant and reliable.
5. Creative Lettering and Beyond by Gabri Joy Kirkendall, Laura Lavender, Julie Manwaring, and Shauna Lynn Panczyszyn $17.96 | Projects, prompts and exercises for someone who’d love to learn a practical and lovely skill this winter. Count me in! And make it a themed gift with a proper pad of paper and pen set.